Read here for more on Malaysiakini
Excerpts: Read here for more in Malaysiakini
Businessman Loh Mui Fah, 58, today claimed that he was worried for his personal safety over his role in the Lingam tape scandal.
In an exclusive interview with Malaysiakini today, Loh admitted that his son, Jwo Burne, had recorded lawyer VK Lingam’s telephone conversation with former chief justice Ahmad Fairuz Sheikh Abdul Halim on the night of Dec 20, 2001.
Explaining further the harassments he had faced since the grainy 14-minute video clip was made public by opposition party PKR last year, Loh said that officers from the Anti-Corruption Agency had been tailing him day and night.
ACA officers had once intercepted him while he was on his way to Singapore, and also visited his office and home simultaneously where they threatened to ‘take away’ Loh’s youngest son.
Last month, the ACA ‘harassment’ and threatening phone calls became so unbearable and that Loh said he lodged at least one police report.
“They hunted me day and night. They came in cars, waited for me with engines running, waiting until midnight. The security guards at my apartment can vouch for this,” he said.
“Once the ACA visited my house and my office at the same time. When they found that I wasn’t there, they harassed my youngest son and threatened to take him away,” he said.
Loh said that once while he was travelling by car to Singapore, he was intercepted in Malacca by two ACA officers.
“They wanted me to immediately return with them to their headquarters in Putrajaya to take a statement from me. I told them I will not follow them and got them to let me talk to their superior,” he said.
“I told them I can cooperate but it must be properly done, and that I am given proper notice,” he added.
According to Loh, he did not know how the ACA knew that he was involved in the matter.
“Maybe Lingam had told them that I and my son were at his house on that day,” he speculated.
Loh suggested that the agency was perhaps badgering him to give a statement as they wanted to catch him unprepared instead of having him come with a prepared statement.
The businessman said that he feared for his life. “That is why I am going public now,” he said.
“I wrote to the PM seeking protection but I didn’t receive any assurance from him. Do I fear for my life? I won’t take anything for granted,” he said.
“Going public is the best option that I have.”
Loh also said that he was willing to appear before the royal commission which will kick off its inquiry on Monday to probe the Lingam tape.
“I will go before them in the interest of the public, but it is up to them to find their own answer,” he added.