8 September 2009
The Sri Maha Mariamman temple committee says it wants to either relocate to Section 23 in Shah Alam or to remain at the current site. If the 150-year-old temple were to remain where it is, the committee wants the compound to be restored to its original size and also provided better protection. Read here for more---- END OF UPDATE ---
On the issue of the relocation of the Hindu temple, the question Malaysians must seriously ask is this:
Should we appease the 50-odd Malay Muslims whose extremely inflammatory action of parading with a severed cow head was meant to insult the Hindu faith as a protest against the relocation of a 150-year old Hindu temple?There is pressure from UMNO to the Selangor State Govt to appease these 50-odd Malay Muslims by not relocating the Hindu temple at Section 23. In fact, there is move by the Selangor Govt to find another location for this 150-year Hindu temple which had been in Section19 long BEFORE the establishment of a housing estate in Shah Alam.
These 50-odd Malay Muslims had said they would shed blood if the temple is relocated to Section 23.
If the original plan to relocate the Hindu temple at Section 23 does not proceed, a very dangerous PRECEDENT will be set by the Govt (State and Federal). It will send a clear message to other extremists and religious bigots in the country that they can threaten the peace and security of the nation and get away with it.
We say, the Government must stand firm on this issue and the Selangor State Govt should NOT buckle in the face of these 50-odd Malay Muslim extremists .
These Malay Muslim extremists have shown total disregard for the safety and security of the state and, to boot, thump their noses at a duly elected government.
It is in the interest of the Federal Government and UMNO to stand firm with the Selangor State Govt, and not to let partisan politics get in the way by allowing these Malay Muslim extremists to have an upper hand in the running of the country or state.
UMNO must also come to terms with the fact that its policy in the last 30 years, especially under the Mahathir regime of buckling down to Malay racial extremism and politicising Islam, have led to the present state of affairs.
Malay extremists in the country had been using the name of Islam to undermine the rule of law in the country. And UMNO allowed itself, wittingly or unwittingly, to play their racially and religiously divisive game to maintain political power.
These Malay Muslim extremists know fully well that following March 2008 election, UMNO is very vulnerable. It is this vulnerabilty of UMNO that these Malay Muslim extremists are capitalising upon to achieve their political ends and self-interest ambitions. They are found operating in the Malay vernacular media, in several Malay NGOs, within the UMNO grassroot hierarchy as well as in the Opposition parties (PKR and PAS).
These Malay Muslims are now beyond daring, as evident in their rhetoric and street action in the recent cow-head demonstration.
Unfortunately, we also have a Prime Minister who is himself vulnerable to these Malay extremists. Allegations of scandals in his personal life and perception of him willing to play the race card at every opportunity do not help him at all to rein in these Malay Muslim extremists.
They are telling Najib and UMNO who is the real boss dictating the running of the country.
Unless the Govt stop appeasing these Malay extremists, the country is surely and steadily sliding down the slope.
These Malay extremists are more than willing to bring the country to the brink of the May 13, 1969 racial riot. In 1969, it was against primarily the Chinese, now they are targeting the Indians/Hindus. UMNO must not become a party to these Malay Muslim extremists AGAIN, as it did so in the days and hours ahead leading towards the 13 May 1969 racial riot.
We appeal to the Federal Govt to come to its senses quickly and to use the nation's security apparatus to rein in these Malay extremists before it is too late.
UMNO, as the dominant party in government is duty bound to put public and national interest ahead of partisan politics. It can start with cleaning up some of its grassroot leaders.
Coming back to the relocation of the Hindu temple, a precedent should NOT be set by appeasing to these 50-odd Malay Muslim extremists' demands. They should instead be facing the full force of the law of the land for their actions on the street and their inflammatory rhetoric.
We ask that the Selangor State Govt must stand firm in the longer term interest of the nation and the people: That is, the original plan of relocating the Hindu temple at Section 23 should stay on the table for as long as it takes.
We are in interesting times... and a very dangerous one too.
The Govt can take a leaf out of the Australian experience with the anti-Asian politics of Pauline Hanson and her One Nation Party. Read here and here and here
God Bless Malaysia!
Should the temple moved out from Section 23?
A MUSLIM perspective
Read here for more
1. Someone commented in my blog that may be it is best the temple be moved out from Section 23 to avoid bigger tragedy in the near future. As a Muslim, I say that is probably the worst thing anyone can do under the current circumstances. Running away is never a solution and in this case can it can be a precedent to bigger things.
2. Over the last 52 years since Merdeka, we have been living in under the false pretences that everything is fine with multi ethnic Malaysia and it seems that over the last 52 years things were made to look fine because we were asked to tolerate our neighbors and not accept them as what they are. The politicians has been dividing the people and ruling the country for their own self interest. In the next few paragraph, I will explain why I feel the temple should stay in Section 23.
3. In addressing the temple issue, we need to understand the background of the issue. My own take on the matter may not be accurate as I based on information told to me by friends and what I have researched on the internet. The million dollar question that we need to ask is –Is it really about the temple or about politics with the aim of destabilizing the state government?
4. From what can be seen since the infamous march with a cow head, the involvement of Dato Noh Omar and the open backing of Hishamuddin and the most recent action of few residents during the town hall meeting in Shah Alam, it can be concluded that there are bigger things at play here rather than the temple issue itself. A few ground pawns have been doing their part effectively because they know they have a big umbrella protecting them.
5. In dealing with this matter, I believe the law of the land must be respected. If the Selangor Government chose to relocate the Sri Mariaman temple (SMT), it appears that it has failed in its responsibility and the respect to the law. It would appear that a government would give in to the thugs. Is the government so weak?
6. Some people think that the whole Malay residents of Section 23 do not want the temple there. In reality, the basic issues that need to be asked are whether they have any right to object? What is their basis of objection? They keep saying it is because of “Muslim Sensitivity” but yet they cannot justify to meaning of the phrase.
7. From my observation, the people that is echoing and propagating this “Muslim Sensitivity” are very few. They are a core group of people that is responsible in inciting and poisoning the minds of the residents of Section 23. The master mind that is poisoning the peoples mind in that area is only 4-5 of them. Majorities are fence sitter who doesn’t know what is right and what is wrong.
8. Islamic law, the Malaysian law and constitution does not forbid non Muslims to practice their religion. Physically the chosen site is in Section 23 is good for everyone. It has a good access unlike the one in Section 19. I believe the best step forward is for the State Government should consider is to actually obtained feedback from residents who are able to give their views professionally and without the interference of thugs.
9. Maybe, MBSA or/and Shah Alam PAS members should form a special team and visit each resident and talk to them individually at their home and listen to their views and argue professionally in this respect. Collate this information and understand the real issues with the residents. I believe the residents if interviewed at the comfort of their home or office should be able to explain things rationally.
10. The state must stop this political interference. It must follow the law of the land. They must not be intimidated by a bunch of thugs. The country has laws. If the thugs want to create problem like killing people or burning temples down, let them do it. The state should ask the police to handle such matters. After all that is what they are paid for. The police must do their part. It is time that all Malaysian must learn to accept their neighbors.
11. As a Muslim, I am truly ashamed that the Section 23 thugs have failed to show their intellectual strength. It is a bad reflection on all of us Muslims in Malaysia. Selangor government, I urged that you maintain your stand and it would be good if PAS Shah Alam will make a stand on this matter openly.
See videos on how the thugs of Section 23 behave here.
The Face of Malay Extremism.
Read here for more article by "The Aisehman"
This is the face of Malay extremism.
His name is Azmir Md Zain. (He is the Pengerusi PenajaUMNO Cawangan Seksyen 23 and the BROTHER of Nawawi Md Zin, Ketua Bahagain UMNO Shah Alam).
This is the dude :
- who carried the severed head of a cow to the protest the other day.
- who had his foot on the cow head.
- And as you can see from this picture, this is also the dude who disrupted the Selangor government dialogue with Section 23 residents.
Haji apa kalau perangai macam anjin’?
Tuk aku, pak aku, pak penakan aku semua haji, tapi takdak la perangai anjin’ macam ni. Pasai tu la susah sikit aku nak pecaya Azmir ni haji.
Anjin’ mungkin la. Anjin’ UMNO.
Azmir ni adalah Pengerusi Penaja Umno Cawangan Seksyen 23.
Dua beradik dengan Dato’ Nawawi Md Zin, Ketua Bahagian UMNO Shah Alam.
Nawawi dan Azmir ni barua kehormat Khir Toyo.Memang depa bedua ni anjin’.
Anjin’ penjilat Tempe.
- "The Aisehman"